Diamond Oregon 97722
It is thought that Mrs. Dolly Kiger named the
town in 1874 as well as the craters located northwest of the
town after the diamond shaped brand used by the McCoy ranch.
post office in the Diamond area has been moved many times
since its first establishment in 1887. A. T. Clark established
the first post office in his store in April 23, 1887, approximately
three miles west of the present town of Diamond. For unknown
reasons it was subsequently housed in a new structure constructed
by Ma rion Horton and George Smyth in about 1897. One source
indicates that the post office has had over seventeen postmasters
and assistant postmasters.
the turn of the century, Diamond was growing into a major
merchandising outlet for ranchers, sheep men, and travelers.
It was a common sight to observe camp tenders making large
purchases in Diamond to restock the solitary sheepherders
who spend their lives with the sheep. Often the herders
as well as camp tenders spent days and sometimes weeks at
the Hotel Diamond during periodic rest periods. The two
stores in Diamond were centers of much activity, and of
course the saloon, with its special charm for people accustomed
to solitary living, attracted many clients. At its zenith
Diamond had a population of about fifty people.
Man Clark," as
he was known to his many friends, died in the 1890's Marion
the postmaster's duties
as well as managed a store in Diamond Clark's general store
became a popular meeting spot for people dropping in to pick
up mail, shopping for supplies and general socializing with
the area's residents.
1907, a stone building was erected by Charlie Hawkins a local
stone mason and the post office was moved to the new
structure. A second story was added using the wood from the
old Horton store. Clyde Smyth constructed another store across
the street from the stone building and Diamond began to grow.
Lumber from the Smyth's building was taken from Coon Town in
Happy Valley. The post office was subsequently moved to the
new Smyth store where it remained for a period. Later a fire
demolished Smyth's business building.
stone building constructed by Charlie Hawkins came to serve,
in addition to being a store and post office, as a community
meeting place and dance hall in the early decades of the
twentieth century it became a common occurrence for the
residents in the surrounding area to gather on a weekly
basis for lively fiddle music, John Barleycorn, and occasional