Gateway is named for a natural depression in the terrain north
of Madras, caused by erosion by Trout Creek and its tributaries.
It is in effect a natural gate for the railroad and vehicular
traffic north and south through central Oregon. The name was
applied to the post office in 1913, possibly by George McFarland. The post office was originally known as Youngs, but it was
not at the present site of Gateway. Youngs was named for Louis
A. Young, a local resident, and was about three miles from
where the Gateway office was situated when that office was
closed in 1956.