place has had several names, and their history is confusing.
Post office records are not as complete as they might be.
A post office called Whittles Ferry was established at or
near what is now Keno on September 22, 1876, with Robert
Marple first postmaster. Apparently, the ferry was operated
by Robert Whittle, and the office was named for him. There
was some objection to the name of the office, possibly because
it was in two words. Capt. O. C. Applegate told the writer
that he suggested the name Klamath River, but postal officials
also objected to this for some undisclosed reason. Captain
Applegate then suggested the name Plevna, a word then prominent
in the news from the Russo-Turkish War. Accordingly, the
name Whittles Ferry was changed to Plevna on january 9,
1878. Later, the office was moved northeast a couple of
miles to Juniper Ridge, along with the name, and finally
closed March 1892. The move incensed local patrons, and
they secured a new office in August 1887 and named it Keno
for Capt. D. J. Ferree's dog. Helbock, in Oregon Post Offices,
says the animal belonged to Mary E. Ferree, the first postmaster. The compiler does not know whether she was the wife or daughter
of the captain. Nellie Doten, postmaster at Keno in january
1926, informed the writer that her father surveyed and platted
the townsite and called it Doten. This name was objected
to for a post office because of the similarity to Dayton.
According to her version, the name Keno was then adopted
for the office on account of Captain Ferree's bird-dog.
Keno, the dog, was named after the popular card game of